Monday, September 3, 2012

A Room with a View

la vista dalla mia camera
In hindsight, I think I was a little overconfident about finding an apartment right away in Florence...I didn't realize it was a lot like New York City - everything is tiny and expensive. It shouldn't have still been available (two people had already booked a viewing), but I found a perfect one bedroom a block away from my school. The first person was delayed because of her flight, and I ran over to meet the landlords, Carlo and his sister Clara, before the second person had confirmed their appointment. It's a little more expensive than I was planning on, but it is cozy and perfect. I even have an intercom! This makes me feel a little bit like Carrie Bradshaw as I pile my hair on top of my head and immerse myself in books, and writing, and fashion.

I also feel safe in my neighborhood, Santa Croce, and my building is in between two churches. There's a big square with a daily market surrounded by cute shops and cafes about a block away. On my move-in day, I'm pretty sure I looked like a six year old on their way to their first sleepover as I walked over the Ponte Vecchio with my pink suitcase and matching pillow tucked under my arm...so much for blending in with the locals. My place is on the third floor, without a lift (it took me about thirty minutes and two water breaks to lug my suitcases up). Ninety-two steps, and each one tells me not to go to the gym.

questa รจ la tua stanza se mi visitate
la mia cucina
mia camera da letto
il mio armadio
e il mio bagno
All of the TV channels are in Italian, but I'm hoping this will advance my communication skills. And tonight I have an informational meeting about how to get adopted by an Italian family who will help me temporarily put aside my American ways as I fall in love with this beautiful culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment